Dermaplaning is the latest buzzword in the skincare world, and it’s no surprise why. This simple yet effective procedure involves gently scraping away dead skin cells and facial hairs, revealing smoother, brighter, and more radiant skin.
However, before you rush to book your appointment, it’s important to understand the proper pre-treatment skincare routine to ensure optimal results.
Whether you have sensitive skin, peach fuzz, or vellus hairs, this guide will help you prepare your skin for dermaplaning like a pro. So, let’s get started!
Understanding Dermaplaning: What is This Procedure?
Dermaplaning is a cosmetic procedure that involves gently scraping the surface of the skin with a scalpel to remove dead skin cells and vellus hairs, commonly known as “peach fuzz.”
The treatment is often performed by a licensed skin care professional and is becoming increasingly popular due to its numerous benefits, such as improved skin texture and enhanced product absorption. Despite involving a gentle scraping motion, dermaplaning requires proper preparation and aftercare to avoid potential side effects, particularly for those with sensitive skin.
Consultation with a Professional
Before embarking on your dermaplaning journey, it’s crucial to consult with a knowledgeable skincare professional. A professional consultation ensures that the procedure is suitable for your unique skin type and concerns.
During this interactive session, the expert will evaluate your skin’s condition and provide personalized recommendations, addressing any questions or doubts you may have. This professional guidance will help you make decisions and set realistic expectations, ensuring a safe and effective dermaplaning experience.
Preparing Your Skin at Home
Preparing your skin at home before dermaplaning is essential to achieve optimal results. By following these simple yet effective steps, you can ensure a safe and successful experience.
- Discontinue the use of harsh treatments like chemical peels and exfoliating scrubs a week before the procedure.
- Cleanse your skin thoroughly with a gentle cleanser to remove dirt, oil, and makeup.
- Consider gentle exfoliation methods, such as using a mild chemical exfoliant or a soft facial brush.
- Hydrate and moisturize your skin regularly, using a lightweight, non-comedogenic moisturizer.
- Prioritize sun protection by applying a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30.
During the Procedure: What to Expect
As you settle in for your dermaplaning session, it’s natural to wonder what the procedure entails. Here’s a glimpse of what you can expect during the process:
- Preparation: The esthetician will clean your skin thoroughly and ensure it’s dry before beginning the procedure.
- Technique: Using a sterile scalpel, the esthetician will gently scrape the surface of your skin, targeting dead skin cells and vellus hairs with precise, delicate strokes.
- Sensation: You may experience a mild scraping sensation during the procedure, but it is typically well-tolerated and not painful.
- Duration: The duration of the procedure varies, typically taking around 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the treatment area.
- Immediate Results: Once the dermaplaning is complete, you’ll notice an immediate improvement in skin texture and a smoother appearance, however it often takes a few days to see the full results.
Dermaplaning offers a lot of benefits for your skin, from removing dead skin cells to eliminating vellus hairs, or “peach fuzz.” By following the proper pre-treatment guidelines and preparing your skin at home, you can ensure the best possible results from your dermaplaning session.
Remember, consult with a professional, prioritize skincare, and protect your skin from the sun.
Unveil smoother, glowing skin today!